AskDrSkip.com Glossary & Dictionary
The following table is a list of commonly used terms used throughout AskDrSkip.com and are presented here for you. These definitions are common and standard to the industry and not necessarily written by Dr. Skip. Should you need any additional information please do not hesitate to contact us.
Albumin – Albumin is a primary protein in the blood. It is made from amino acids in the liver and is also available from the diet, especially from eggs. It helps with the immune system, maintains proper fluid balance in the tissues and plays a role in nutrient transport and waste removal.
Alkaline Phosphatase – An enzyme produced primarily in the bone, liver and intestinal tract. It reflects growth or activity in these areas of the body and is often used as a tumor marker. Through its highly alkaline nature, it functions as one of the pH controls in the blood.
Alkalinity – This is an important balance that must be maintained in the body for proper and optimal homeostasis. Being slightly more alkaline is actually healthier than being overly acidic. Keeping this balance is easy by reducing inflammation, consuming green drinks and dark leafy green vegetables and using proper breathing techniques. Yoga is also awesome. Green Drink Powders are an great way to help with your alkalinity balance. Oxidative methods like using EWOT (exercise with oxygen therapy) can also be used to help increase oxygen levels in the body which will assist in balancing the body as well.
– Synonyms: Acidity Sodium BiCarb
Amenorrhea – Absence of the menstrual cycle.
Anovulation – Ovulation is not occurring within the body.
Basophils – Primarily function as clean up for allergy reactions and Eosinophils perform a service when toxins, allergens and parasites attack.
Bilirubin – Comes from the normal breakdown of red blood cells. This breakdown is done by the spleen, which produces indirect bilirubin, and the liver, which produces direct bilirubin. The combination of these two forms is called total bilirubin.
– Synonyms: Total Bilirubin
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement – This is the process of testing and balancing all the hormones within the body using only bio-identical hormones to supplement. The difference is HRT (hormone replacement therapy) is this process of using synthetic prescription hormones in most case. These well-meaning doctors putting clients on these hormones are causing more harm than good. The molecular sizes of those prescription hormones are not only synthetic, but much too large for our receptors to utilize.
– Synonyms: BHRT
Birth Control Pills – These are artificial, synthetic hormones used to control the menstrual cycle and prevent pregnancy in females. While prevention of pregnancy is a giant topic all on its own, the use of these pills to halt the cycle has damaging and sometimes lasting effects on the female body. especially on the reproductive organs, therefore, please discuss risks with your doctor.
– Synonyms: BCP
Botanical Medicine – Botanical/Herbal Medicine is the primary source other than food that we lean on when we need to get the body to shift or heal and return to homeostasis. Dr. Skip mainly employs the use of traditional Chinese medical formulations. These are what we use in holistic medicine as the “alternatives” to prescription medications. Please keep in mind these formulations and herbal prescriptions have been in use and existence for thousands of years while prescription drugs from the pharmaceutical companies have only been around for about 100 years. When we are talking about botanical medicine we are talking about plants, minerals, and occasionally animal sources used to create medicinal formulas. Nutraceuticals are using food supplements like vitamin A,B, C, D, etc. as medicine for helping the body to return to homeostasis. See: Pharmaceuticals and Nutraceuticals in the glossary
– Synonyms: Herbal Medicine
Boutique Health Experience – When Dr. Skip uses the term ’boutique’ he is referring to the unique practice and experience that is provided throughout treatment sessions. Treatment packages are a ‘shared journey’ approach to medicine where Dr. Skip is available to respond to inquiries and questions throughout the treatment. This is part of your package. Because of the intimate nature and tailored approach we call this a ’boutique health experience’. It is because of this that only 8-10 women are admitted into these programs at a time. Most clients familiar with conventional medical approaches, where health providers act more like drug dispensaries and often spend as little as 15 min. with them, will be pleasantly surprised by the individualized attention received from Dr. Skip during the standard 60-90 minute therapy sessions.
BUN – An end product of protein breakdown. It is produced mainly in the liver and is eliminated by the kidneys.
– Synonyms: Blood Urea Nitrogen
Calcium – The principle component of the bones and teeth with 99% of the body’s calcium found in these structures. The other 1% is very important to processes like blood clotting, nerve and muscle function, and various enzyme activities.
Cancer – Quite simply the cellular, immune and endocrine systems have gone somewhat haywire. There is some degree of auto-immune response and the immune system is working against itself. Many nutritional deficiencies are seen in cancer. In general there is an over-run of pathogens such as virus, bacteria, yeast and candida depressing the immune system wreaking havoc on the body as a whole. This is much too broad a topic to discuss here and I am by no means trying to over-simply this dis-ease process. Diet and nutrition play an important role in preventing and treating cancer.
Candida – Candida is a type of yeast and is the most common of the fungal infections throughout the world. We feed this yeast every time we eat anything that contains sugar. That is their food. They are very difficult to kill. They thrive in an acidic environment. A poor diet is also a great way to help them thrive in your body. They are very opportunistic. When they finally present on your toe nails that is after a long battle and the system can no longer contain them. Prescription anti-fungal medications are generally ineffective and sometime quite dangerous on your organs – especially your liver. If you have cravings for sugars, pastas and carbs in general then you most likely have some degree of candida in your system. Insomnia, itching, food allergies and sensitivities, dry skin and cloudy urine are other indicators as well.
Carbon Dioxide – Test of the total of bicarbonate and carbon dioxide. These two substances are in a dynamic equilibrium and help maintain the balance of acid and base in the body.
– Synonyms: CO2
Cardiovascular System – This is referencing anything related to the heart, circulation, valves and blood flow in and through the veins and arteries of the entire body. If there is any inflammation present what-so-ever then this system will not be able to function properly or optimally for that matter.
Castor Oil Packs
– Castor Oil packs are an important and necessary way to increase blood flow/circulation while decreasing inflammation and sending tons of red blood cells to the area where the pack is being applied. This process drastically increases healing with the influx of so many powerful red blood cells rushing to the local area. This technique is easy and simple. It can be a bit messy without precautions. Castor Oils packs are very beneficial for liver and gastrointestinal issues (gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, gastritis, leaky gut, irritable bowel, etc.) if applied over those areas coupled with a healthy diet. In essence this is also a process of detoxification. We can also use the castor oil packs for infertility and pelvic pain treatment by applying it over the uterus and ovaries directly.
Chloride – Another electrolyte involved in maintaining proper fluid balance and pH balance. It is also part of the stomach’s hydrochloric acid that digests protein and levels are also influenced by kidney function.
Cholesterol – Cholesterol is derived from the diet, formed in the liver and found in all cells of the body. It is used to form hormones, antibodies and bile salts and also protects cell membranes. It is also used to evaluate risk for atherosclerosis.
Cholesterol – Cholesterol is derived from the diet, formed in the liver and found in all cells of the body. It is used to form hormones, antibodies and bile salts and also protects cell membranes. It is also used to evaluate risk for atherosclerosis.
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (CMP 14)
– Lipid Panel with LDL/HDL Ratio; Iron, Serum with Total Iron Binding Capacity (TIBC), Percent Iron Saturation, Unsaturated Iron Binding Capacity (UIBC); Ferritin; LDH; GGT; Magnesium, Serum; Phosphorus, Serum; Uric Acid, Serum; Thyroid Panel with TSH; Triiodothyronine (T3), Total; Thyroxine (T4), Free, Direct; Triiodothyronine (T3), Free; Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody; Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibody; Hemoglobin A1c; C-Reactive Protein (CRP), High Sensitivity; Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxycalciferol; Homocysteine; Fibrinogen Activity; Complete Blood Count (CBC) with Differential and Platelet Count; Urinalysis, Routine
Conception – Act of the semen being introduced to the ovum where fertilization occurs, inception of pregnancy.
– Synonyms: Conceive
Creatinine – A waste product of muscle activity and levels are related to a person’s muscle mass and how much exercise and strenuous activity they perform.
Cycle Day 1 – First day of actual bleeding is considered cycle day 1.
– Synonyms: CD1, CD 1
– Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), derived from cholesterol like estrogen and testosterone. Produced primarily in the adrenal glands. Use of this hormone is very common in women with infertility. This hormone affects the energy levels in the body and the sex drive. This is also responsible for converting into other hormones in the body. This makes it very multi-functional to assisting the body in returning to homeostasis and is also known as one of the “master hormones”. This can be taken in supplement form. It is very safe and offers much support for symptom relief if given under the proper conditions. This, like the other hormones, should be tested and monitored before/during supplementation. Proper dosage is key and people have a tendency to overdo. Thinking more is better is not usually the case, at all.
– Synonyms: DHEA, Dehydroepiandrosterone
Diabetes – Diabetes is an issue of pancreatic insufficiency. In holistic medical terms we also work on making the liver healthy and happy via methods of detoxification. In diabetes the clients’ pancreas isn’t able to process and excrete insulin into the bloodstream to maintain proper levels of glucose.
– Synonyms: Type 1 & 2, Gestational, Metabolic Syndrome, Insulin Resistance. Syndrome X
Diminished Ovarian Reserve – This may be due to a number of varying factors. Including surgical, genetic / heredity issues, related to pharmaceuticals and/or other drugs. They may even be from unexplained etiologies, which means we just do not know why or where the primary cause of the diminished functions of the ovaries started. Diminished ovarian reserve is a decrease in the number of viable eggs available for conception. This lack is in general caused by aging ovaries. The inadequate number of viable eggs decreases the chances drastically of ensuring successful fertilization of the eggs by the semen. Ovaries can still work fine while having a diminished ovarian reserve. Mid 30’s women have approximately 25,000 at the inception of menopause that number drops to around 100.
– DMSO/MSM are both derivatives of sulfur and very helpful in cases of pain and inflammation. MSM is a bit more versatile for other issue while DMSO is a powerful agent for relief from various types of pain and inflammation in conditions ranging from Multiple Sclerosis to Fibromyalgia and muscle strains and injuries. Great for arthritis and burns. MSM has been shown to be beneficial for the skin, hair, nails and bones. Helpful with allergies, pain, it also detoxifies the blood. Blood circulation and constipation improvements are frequently seen with its use. It is no more toxic than water even in higher doses. This is frequently recommended in clients with fertility challenges to help with inflammation and circulation. Additional Information can be found at www.jacoblabs.com and www.dmso.org. If you are interested in trying DMSO I would recommend this roll-on by R.M. Jensen & Associates, L.C. I typically carry a few in my office, but here you can order it directly: Click HERE to view on Amazon.
– Synonyms: MSM, Jacob Labs
Dosha – Ayurveda descriptions of the various medical constitutional body types, known as: Vata, Pitta, Kapha.
Dysmenorrhea – Pain present with or at any point during the menstrual cycle.
– Endometriosis is an inflammatory condition, arguably auto-immune related (which means the body is fighting itself) in nature. Endometriosis can have detrimental effects on the immune, reproductive and endocrine systems, to mention just a few of the heaviest players. Endometrial cells leave their home in the uterus/womb and travel to other parts of the body. Research has shown these cells to have traveled as far as to the nose and brain of cadavers. This exodus of the cells from that region can wreak havoc on women causing symptoms ranging from pelvic and abdominal pain, irregular bleeding, infertility, migraines, etc. Fatigue, painful intercourse, bloating and other gastrointestinal disorders such as diarrhea and/or constipation are commonplace in women who have endometriosis. Here is a great link to the Department of Health & Human Services PDF of a great explanation: http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/endometriosis.pdf While this link is written by conventionally trained physicians there is hope for endometriosis and infertility with natural, safer methods.
Exercise – Yoga/Pilates, Walking and Swimming should not be discounted as proper exercise.
– Synonyms: Proper Exercise, Yoga, Walking
Fallopian Tubes – These tubes are the channels where the eggs (ovum) travel from the ovary into the womb. It is very common in cases of infertility for these tubes to become congested and/or clogged. This is another indicator of inflammation. Many aspects are taken into account when working with families having fertility issues and clearing the congestion from the fallopian tubes. Proper uterine alignment is also key. See: Inflammation
– Fibroid are usually non-cancerous tumors or growths in and around the uterus. They can also be found in the ovaries and breast tissue. They tend to accumulate in the muscle layers causing pain often times. This, again, is another awesome example of congestion and an underlying inflammatory response harming the body – and in this case causing pain. Normalization of hormones, iodine and insulin levels along with elevations in magnesium levels and some herbal medicine to help ease off other symptoms usually help substantially in these cases. Improvement and elimination of pelvic pain from fibroids can be helped with Merciér Massage Therapy. See: Inflammation
Follicular – The first phase of the ovarian cycle. In this phase the mature egg is ready to be released.
Food Sensitivities – The term food sensitivities is the industry term used to describe what I would more appropriately call food allergies. The word sensitivities makes it sound less harmful.
– Synonyms: Food Allergy, Food Allergies, (food sensitivities)
FSH – We measure the level of FSH from the blood to determine several things. Most importantly is the over-all general ovarian reserve health. A good ovarian reserve would be shown with a normal level of FSH in the blood on cycle day 3. Elevation would not rule out the possibility of pregnancy in an infertility client, but does tell us we need to work quickly and do our best to make those eggs and the entire body as healthy and balanced as we can for an optimal environment of fertility.
FTI – Provides an estimate of how much T-4 is in the free or active state. It is a useful index of hormonal levels and again low values are often associated with hypothyroid tendencies and high values with hyperthyroid tendencies.
– Synonyms: Free Thyroxine Index
Functional Endocrinology – Functional Endocrinology is a very unique and progressive way to understand and interpret the results of a variety of tests to get an overall picture of the health of the body and how well it and all the organs are working.
– Synonyms: Chemistry Report
GGT – Another enzyme found primarily in the liver that is responsible for transporting amino acids and proteins into cells.
Globulin – Globulin is the other primary protein and has important functions in immune response. It’s other jobs are carrying hormones and lipids. Compounds known as immunoglobulin’s, like IgA, IgG and IgE are highly important for various immune issues like allergies and infections in the mucus linings of the body.
Glucose – Glucose is sugar that is used by the cells to provide energy. It is the only type of fuel that can be used by the brain and nervous system, whereas other tissues can also burn fats for energy.
Hematocrit – Is a measure of the volume of whole blood taken up by the red blood cells and expressed as a percent. MCV, MHC, MCV and RDW all reflect the size, shape and contents of red cells.
Hematocrit – Is a measure of the volume of whole blood taken up by the red blood cells and expressed as a percent. MCV, MHC, MCV and RDW all reflect the size, shape and contents of red cells.
Holistic Medicine – Respective of their specific disciplines, they all employ the techniques of treating dis-ease in the body through all-natural, non-invasive, non-surgical options and without the use of pharmaceuticals, when possible.
– Synonyms: Alternative Medicine, Complimentary Medicine, Natural Medicine, Integrative Medicine, Oriental Medicine, Naturopathic Medicine, Pastoral Medicine
Hypertension – An elevation in your blood pressure diagnosed by your physician. The elevation is generally above 140/90 to be considered hypertensive (also known as High Blood Pressure). Elevations in your blood pressure can be indicators for heart attacks and strokes. Women who experience high blood pressure before or during pregnancy are in an increased classification for complications such as diabetes, preeclampsia and/or placental abruption.
– Synonyms: High blood pressure
– A surgical produce done to remove any or all of the organs in the female reproductive tract. This can and does usually cause more harm good in the long term. Please discuss all your options before going down that road. You can’t put them back in once they are removed. And those organs are vital for hormone production and nothing makes hormones as well as your own body. Even as good as bio-identical hormones are, they aren’t the real thing. Exhaust all possibilities before having a hysterectomy if possible. This procedure can be done for a variety of reasons stretching from profuse excess bleeding to painful periods or various types of cancers. See: Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy
Impaired Fecundity – Impaired ability to get pregnant or carry a baby to term.
In-vitro Fertilization – Is a process of introducing hormones into the body via injections. This is used to produce multiple eggs each month instead only the usual, single egg. An ultrasound is used to determine when the woman is ready and then the ovum is retrieved.
– Synonyms: IVF
Infertility Risk Factors
– High blood pressure, smoking, hormonal imbalance, poor diet with improper nutrition, candida, stress, diminished ovarian reserve, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, endometriosis, PCOS, abdominal surgeries and age just a few. There are many additional risk factors like environmental factors that could be contributors.
– Synonyms: Infertility Factors, Infertility Risks
– Inflammation is one of the primary culprits of any dis-ease process in the human body. Inflammation can cause immediate issues as seen when you are stung by a bee. This swelling and redness is inflammation. Years of being deficient in iodine and having fibrocystic breast disease is inflammation and years of chronic accumulation of inflammation. View the YouTube link below and see an incredible animation of how inflammation effects the body. Inflammation must be minimal in the body for it to remain healthy. Chronic inflammation can lead to diseases like breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men, as well as other dis-eases. Keep your circulation healthy and your blood clean and this can be an easy task. If you eat a traditional diet of American food, filled with stress and coupled with a lack of proper exercise, trying to control inflammation in the body will be an arduous task. http://youtu.be/uNG-jZxvhcg
Inter-Uterine Insemination – Also known as Artificial Insemination. This technique is often employed when the male is experiencing issues with semen quality/quantity. One of the primary testing methods used on men is called the Semen Analysis.
– Synonyms: IUI, artificial insemination
Iodine – “Iodine is a naturally occurring mineral found in seawater and soils. It is an essential trace element for life and is found in food and salt that the body requires. Iodine’s main role in human biology is as a constituent of thyroid hormones. The thyroid gland actively absorbs iodide from the blood to make and release these hormones back into the blood. Thyroid hormones play a basic role in biology, acting to regulate metabolism. The total deficiency of thyroid hormones can reduce the basal metabolic rate up to 50%, while an excessive production of thyroid hormones can increase the basal metabolic rate by 100%.” (The above was taken from “Role of lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress in the association between thyroid diseases and breast cancer.” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, Volume 68, Issue 2, Pages 107-114 M. Gago-Dominguez, J. Castelao) AskDrSkip.com recommends iodine in its Nascent form. Nascent iodine is iodine as an atom rather than an ion or a molecule. In this state the iodine atom has a large energy potential that is released when the atom is used. It has a well documented ability to fight infections in this form. The eclectic physicians from our history understood this and utilized its benefits with their clients. The iodine atom is a paramagnetic atom and is subject to magnetic charging. When activated by adding it to water, it is active for 2 to 3 hours. During this time it is readily available to be used by the body. Please visit www.magnascent.com and http://www.drbrownstein.com for additional information.
– Synonyms: Nascent
Iron – Iron is an important part of hemoglobin in the red blood cells, carrying oxygen to all cells of the body.
LDH – An enzyme formed in all cells of the body from the use of sugar. It is a general indicator of pancreas function due to its relationship with sugar metabolism.
– Synonyms: Lactic Dehydrogenase
Luteal – Final phase of the menstrual cycle where progesterone is made to further stimulate estrogen production. Corresponds to the Secretory phase of the uterine cycle.
Lymphocytes – Mainly for defense against virus and cancer cells, while Polys are primarily defending against bacteria.
– Magnesium is a very important mineral utilized in the body for hundreds of vital processes ranging from nerve impulses to muscle contractions. Lack of magnesium can cause everything from irregular heart beats, chronic pain, disruption in insulin regulation to infertility and hormonal imbalance – especially in women. The RDA (recommended daily allowance) sanctioned by the government is roughly 320-420mg per day. This amount is only just more than half of the minimum amounts needed and consumed by your body and cellular system to function normally. This deficiency in magnesium is another one we view as an epidemic-type crisis. Statics show more than 80% of the general population as being magnesium deficient. Magnesium stimulates your immune system, gives you energy via the mitochondria. It helps you sleep deeper and can calm down the frustrating symptoms of restless leg syndrome. The importance of it should not be discounted. Once deficient in the body it can not be replenished by diet alone. Supplementation is essential. Other nutrients should be used along with this mineral such as iodine and vitamins B, C, D and K. For additional information the following links are excellent resources: www.ancient-minerals.com and http://drcarolyndean.com
Menopause – This is the phase of a woman’s life where the hormones and body change and the stage where cessation of the ability to reproduce occurs. This can be a very upsetting time for some women. Both emotionally and physically, as the production of hormones decline substantially, often-times creating serious symptoms. These symptoms can range from: anxiety, depression, vaginal dryness, painful intercourse, breast tenderness, no libido, night sweats to hot flashes. Hormone levels must be tested in this phase of life for certain, especially if symptoms are present. Hormones and various herbal products have been shown to help drastically while decreasing chances of issues like female cancers and heart attacks. BHRT (Bio-identical hormone replacement therapy)can help normalize the body’s hormones during this phase. See: BHRT
– Synonyms: Menopausal
Menstrual Cycle – The entirety of the female menstrual cycle is also known as the ‘period’. The cycle is a series of hormonal changes to the uterus and ovaries that make reproduction possible.
Menstruation – This is where the bleeding occurs and is the very first phase of the uterine cycle.
Merciér Therapy – This Therapy uses an abdominal visceral (deep tissue) manipulation technique used externally on the pelvis to facilitate proper alignment of the female reproductive organs – especially the uterus and ovaries. This treatment increases blood flow and breaks up adhesions that are often the root cause of fertility issues. Treatment packages vary based on the needs of the clients. The initial consultation costs $300. Independent studies have shown Merciér Therapy to be 80% effective even as far as one year after treatment from inception to childbirth.
– Synonyms: Natural Infertility Treatment
Metformin – Metformin is an oral diabetic medication used to help control insulin levels used with some limited success in infertility cases.
Monocytes – Are the second line of defense and finish the job started by the lymphocytes and polys.
– Merciér Therapy with Oxygen Session. M.T.W.O. is a term coined by AskDrSkip.com for an oxygen/ozone technique utilized at the office during your Merciér Therapy sessions. This is used to increase the flow of highly oxygenated blood plasma directly into the organs – especially the fallopian tubes, uterus and ovaries. This is considered an oxidative therapy. Deep breathing and the pressure applied to the uterus during the visceral manipulation forces this oxygenated plasma into those organs. This drastically increases circulation/blood flow and creates an environment of optimal pelvic health for increased chances at conception. The technique has also been shown clinically to balance whole body pH, activate the mitochondria, combat fatigue and drop levels of fungus, bacteria, yeast and viruses. This is a spin on a technique called EWOT – exercise with oxygen therapy. Improper blood flow to ANY organ will eventually lead to the absence of health in some manner.
– Synonyms: Merciér Therapy w/ Oxygen, Merciér Therapy with Oxygen Session
Neti-Pot – An Ayurvedic device used to flush the sinus cavity with a medicated saline mixture to maintain a healthy immune system, reduce allergies and hayfever and overall sinus and upper respiratory health. Often something only used out when sick but when used consistently (daily or at least 3-4 times per week) you will have a happy and healthy sinus cavity and immune system.
Nutraceuticals – A term used to describe products in holistic medical offices which ingredients are generally inclusive of nutritional (also known as vitamin and minerals) based formulas as supplements in contrast to its friend Botanical Medicines that are derived from plants and animals sources provided directly and naturally from the universe herself.
Oil-Pulling – Another Ayurvedic technique used to help whiten teeth, freshen breath, reduce bacteria and “pull” various pathogens to the oil.
Orthomolecular Medicine – This generally refers to the medical aspect and understanding of proper nutrition. See below. This can simply be the reduction of wheat and gluten. It can also refer to the removal of food dyes and preservatives with the addition of a specialized diet. Often, the specialized diet will utilize a high-powered blender to make nutritional aspects of certain foods available that would otherwise be missed during normal mastication (chewing). The specific foods are recommended either due to their individual benefits to either combat nutritional deficiencies or help beef up the function of various bodily functions. See: Nutrition
– Synonyms: Integrative Nutrition, Nutritional Medicine
Ovarian Reserve – Is the term we use to describe the availability of eggs to be fertilized.
Ovaries – Ovaries are a major aspect of the female reproductive system. We used to joke in school that testicles of men were just ovaries that hadn’t descended in-utero. We all start out as female when we are maturing in the womb. These 2 glands are tiny little powerhouses about the size and shape of an almond and are situated near the fallopian tubes. The ovaries typically alternate by month producing a single, fertile egg available for conception. Imbalanced hormones in the body alone can easily send the delicate process of ‘ovulation’ right out the window further causing the body to be in a state dis-ease.
Ovulation – The part of the female menstrual cycle where ripe and fertile eggs (ovum) are released from the ovary and ready to be fertilized/inseminated by male sperm cells.
Oxidative Therapies – Any method employing oxygen, hydrogen peroxide, ultraviolet blood irradiation and ozone where it is introduced into the body to help activate the immune system, will assist in the killing of viruses, bacteria and yeast. It will also stimulate the mitochondria. The beautiful thing about this method is its effectiveness , safety, ease of use and non-invasive application. For the most part, oxidative therapies damage only sick cells and bacteria and not their healthy brethren.
Pastoral Medical Association – The PMA is a member-share network of health professionals that allows you as the consumer to seek out and engage in the practice and treatment of holistic medicine under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Pastoral Medical Association. It has NOTHING to do with you choosing or becoming part of a specific religious organization what-so-ever.
– Synonyms: PMA
PCOS – Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, also commonly known as PCOS, is a condition similar to endometriosis being related to a female hormonal imbalance. In PCOS the issues are small cysts that have accumulated on the ovaries typically causing painful periods and irregular cycles. The cysts are generally benign. The presence of these cysts alone give us a clear picture of just how over-inflamed your body is. This inflammation disguised as ovarian cysts have their roots in health maladies like pelvic pain and fertility challenges stemming almost always from the damaging effects of Inflammation. Substantial improvement in symptoms of PCOS and endometriosis can be realized through saliva testing, proper bio-identical hormone balancing and techniques that increase circulation to your pelvis and proper uterine organ alignment. Symptoms of PCOS are virtually the same and lead to similar advanced problems like infertility. Issues with ovulation, painful and irregular periods, abdominal and pelvic pain are unfortunately very common in cases of PCOS.
– Synonyms: Poly-Cystic Ovarian Syndrome
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease – PID is quite simply an infection in a women’s reproductive organs.This includes issues related to gonorrhea and chlamydia. This can be a major issue related to fertility challenges. Some women can be asymptomatic (this means there are no symptoms) so regular checkups from your doctor are vital, especially if you are sexually active. An untreated PID infection can lead to permanent irreparable damage causing infertility. Please make sure you get checkups and if you show any signs what-so-ever of an infection get to the doc ASAP. Most common symptoms are: discharge, smell or odor emanating from the vagina, pain with urination or intercourse, abdominal pain and/or fever. I am not a huge fan of antibiotics but this is one of those circumstances where one would undoubtedly be indicated.
– Synonyms: PID
Pelvic Pain – When this term is used on AskDrSkip.com or by Dr. Skip he is referring to any pain or discomfort that is often chronic in nature occurring in and around the pelvic area in women. Pain might be experienced regularly or just during menstruation, but is often debilitating. Unfortunately, this is experienced by a vast majority of women at some point in their lives. The Merciér Therapy is used to restore balance to the female pelvic region, thereby increasing blood flow that relieves the chronic pain and the actual root of most any medical condition, which is inflammation. Treatment sessions are tailored to the severity of the pain and are not intended to be perpetually ongoing but to correct the issue and restore women to a pain-free optimal life. The causes of Pelvic Pain can include: endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), pelvic pain from injury, trauma, childbirth, surgical interventions (especially C-Sections) and/or sexual abuse traumas. It is important to note that nutrition plays a vital role in all underlying health conditions.
– Synonyms: Pelvic Pain Treatments
Personal Care Products – These can really be anything. Read ALL labels very carefully. This includes but is NOT limited to food products, prescriptions, laundry soap, fabric softener, toothpaste, shampoo, soap and anything that could potentially come in contact with your body (either by eating, drinking, smelling or in some manner being absorbed by or into your skin). Your skin is your largest organ and cannot be discounted when discussing chemicals or medications entering your system. Please be cautious of cleaning products in the shower and your home. Your feet will absorb everything you use to clean the shower. There are many companies that make SAFER options. It is estimated that infant babies are exposed to approximately half-a-dozen personal care products from birth. Never mind most of them contact the skin directly and contain ingredients that are known to be toxic and should NOT be used. This includes things like baby powder which contains talc. Talc has been shown repeatedly to cause long-term health problems and should be avoided. Dr. Skip has spent the better part of his career studying the dangers of such products.
Pharmaceuticals – This is a classification of ‘drugs’ as generally prescribed by conventional medical doctors as primary treatments for various maladies. These approved ‘drugs’ used in conventional medicine are developed by the pharmaceutical industry. Many medications functions are actually accidentally discovered side-effects from other uses. Medicine is a business like any other and money makes the wheel go-round.
Phosphorus – The other principle component of bones and teeth and much like calcium, it has an important role to play in physiology. It helps form compounds for energy production. It is related to pH balance, and is necessary for transporting foods from the stomach for processing elsewhere in the body. Phosphorus and calcium must be in balance with each other for good health.
Placental Abruption – A serious pregnancy complication where the lining of the placenta separates from the uterus of the mom. Very common later in the pregnancy and usually due to bleeding.
Platelets – Are special cells in the blood that help form clots when repair is necessary.
Potassium – An electrolyte related to fluid balance and is used mainly inside the body’s cells. It is necessary for proper function of the heart and muscles.
Preeclampsia – This is a condition during pregnancy with dangerously high blood pressure and protein spilling into the urine. This can be life threatening to both the mother and the baby. There are methods that can be utilized to help prevent this, but if it does occur it is not uncommon for mom to be ordered on bed-rest. Swelling is also common in the hands and feet. Symptoms can be: abdominal pain, headaches, nausea or vomiting, decreased urination, and dizziness.
Progesterone – Progesterone and Estrogen are female steroid/sex hormones produced mainly by the uterus and ovaries. Fluctuations or deficiencies can cause a variety of problems. Estrogen dominance, (having too much estrogen and not enough progesterone) can cause an array of symptoms making life quite difficult on women going though various hormonal phases.
– Synonyms: Estrogen, steroid hormones, sex hormones
Proliferative – In this phase the estrogen has been prompted to make the lining of the endometrium larger and thicker – also known as proliferation. This is the second phase of the uterine cycle.
Red Blood Cells – Are the oxygen-carrying cells using Hemoglobin to hold the oxygen until it is exchanged for carbon dioxide.
Respiratory System – This guy is related to anything and everything about breathing, throats, trachea, oxygen and lungs. In Chinese Medicine the lungs are linked to the emotion of grief. We recommend the use of a cold mist humidifier 2-3 times per year for 7-10 days as a course just to clean house in your lungs and sinus cavity. Use the technique additionally immediately when you start to feel the onset of ANY symptoms what-so-ever related to that of a: cough, allergy, asthma, sinus infection, bronchitis, pneumonia, flu or cold of any kind. Please read below for instructions on its use. Speak to your doctor (or me if you are a Pastoral Medical Wellness Client) before use and see the disclaimer page on askdrskip.com/disclaimer. **The warm mist ones harbor bacteria and mold and should not be used. This is also an Oxidative Therapy by-the-way.
– Synonyms: Oxidative Therapy
– Final phase of uterine cycle and corresponds to the luteal phase of the ovarian cycle. More progesterone is produced during this cycle to continue to build the endometrium and help build and prepare it for pregnancy.
Semen Analysis – This is the test run on the semen from the male to determine the amount, its overall health and the viability of the semen to fertilize the egg (ovum) of the female.
SGOT – An enzyme found mainly in the liver, heart, muscle and gonads. It functions in conversion of cholesterol to hormones and in the synthesis of several acids formed from the breakdown of proteins and fats.
– Synonyms: AST
SGPT – An enzyme found primarily in the liver where it is produced when fatty membranes release stored food substances.
– Synonyms: ALT
Sodium – An electrolyte related to fluid balance, the kidneys, the heart and nerve conduction. Sodium is present mainly in the fluids surrounding the cells.
Supplements – Generic term used to describe nutritional products usually recommended by doctors who practice some form of holistic medicine. These are usually taken by mouth and come from sources of nutritional or botanical origins. Supplements as with all things in holistic medicine are not endorsed by the FDA.
T-3 – Uptake provides an estimate of how many of the available binding sites for this related thyroid hormone are used up.
T-4 – A very important hormone because it is responsible for maintaining the body temperature, regulating the heart rate and stimulating metabolic activity in general through its involvement in using nutrients.
– Synonyms: thyroxine
Testosterone – Also derived from cholesterol similar to estrogen. Testosterone, while also very important in females, is a primary male steroid sex hormone. Levels needed for women are much lower than that of males – however, it is still a vital and important hormone needed to maintain and/or restore optimal health. Symptoms of this hormone being deficient are lack of focus or drive, loss of concentration and libido, weak bones and diminished orgasms. Must be tested before trying to regulate. Testing these levels are extremely easy as it is done via a simple saliva or blood test.
Tests for Infertility – There is no one specific test for fertility, per say. There are several markers with strong indications for signs of fertility. Compiling the data from your medical history, the symptoms presented by you and the results of the tests from the laboratory help to give us an overview of just what is occurring in the body causing the imbalance. Some of these tests include: FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) which should be tested on CD3, Anti-Mullerian hormone (AMH), hormone levels such as: estrogen, progesterone, DHEA-S, testosterone, pregnenolone and a full thyroid panel, complete blood count and comprehensive metabolic panel to assess how your organs and blood cells are doing, functionally speaking.
Thyroid – The thyroid gland is one of the larger endocrine glands responsible for tons of processes in the body ranging from temperature regulation to the balancing of various hormones. Some consider this to be one of the master glands. We should not accept its low functioning lightly. Many people still feel awful or at least no-worse or better on their current prescription of Synthroid. Many times full thyroid panels are not completed and an inaccurate assessment of the condition is assumed. When visiting your endocrinologist please take the following list of tests with you for them to run: Thyroid Panel with TSH; Triiodothyronine (T3), Total; Thyroxine (T4), Free, Direct; Triiodothyronine (T3), Free; Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody; Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibody
– Synonyms: Thyroid Panel, Synthroid, Thyroid Panel with TSH, Triiodothyronine (T3), Thyroxine (T4), Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody, Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibody
Thyroid Tests – TSH; Triiodothyronine (T3), Total; Thyroxine (T4), Free, Direct; Triiodothyronine (T3), Free; Thyroid Antithyroglobulin Antibody; Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodys
Total Protein – Total Protein is a measure of available building blocks for many compounds in the body. Proteins are used to form enzymes, hormones, antibodies and many structural components like muscle tissue.
Triglycerides – Triglycerides are circulating fats that are made in the liver. Like glucose, they can be a source of energy and their amount increases when glucose cannot be used properly.
TSH – Is produced by the pituitary gland and sends a signal to the thyroid gland to produce more T-4 and T-3. This reflects how well the thyroid is responding to the orders of the pituitary and also how well the pituitary is working. It is part of the feedback mechanism that insures a proper metabolic rate.
– Synonyms: Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
Tubal Patency Test – Is performed to visualize whether the fallopian tubes could be either open, blocked or swollen. This is an x-ray examination. The hysterosalpingogram is a tubal patency test. Dye is injected into the uterus and fallopian tubes and an x-ray is taken. The dye and x-ray are used to help visualize the organs and evaluate the tubal diameter to see if it is clear enough for pregnancy to happen. This blockage, if present, can prevent the semen from traveling down the tubes to fertilize the egg.
Uric Acid – Uric Acid is an end product of protein digestion, mainly a type of protein called purine. Some foods that are high in purine are organ meats, spinach, mushrooms, yeast and asparagus.
Urinalysis – The urine is analyzed to determine a number of things including how concentrated it is through Specific Gravity, which tells us how “heavy” it is compared to water.
Urobilinogen – Is a by-product of intestinal activity and may suggest a lack of proper bowel flora.
Uterus – The uterus (womb) is a major hormone-producing organ. On one end is the cervix leading to the vagina while the other end leads to the fallopian tubes. The alignment of this organ is crucial for proper hormone health and blood circulation and most importantly, healthy fertility. This organ is noted to be mal-positioned on almost every single medical report we see.
Vaccinations – We do not offer vaccines in our office as that is not in line with our philosophies or practice. If however, you chose to vaccinate and would like additional support with minimizing reactions and side-effects please contact our office askdrskip.com/contact or 972-530-4609 to make an appointment.
– Synonyms: vaccinate
– While we always think of Vitamin D3 for strong bones and teeth, this amazing nutrient is far beyond a vitamin behaving often times more like a hormone. This vital nutrient is even epidemically deficient in people in sunny locations – not just those locations like Washington state where Vitamin D deficiencies are common place. While very important for your bones it is also critical for your immune system, heart, brain muscles and cells. It is vital this nutrient that should always be taken with Vitamin K2. Please visit www.vitamindcouncil.org for detailed information on this important vitamin. The deficiency of iodine and magnesium is also critical. These are extremely important for continued good health.
– Synonyms: vitamin d
White Blood Cells – Represent the body’s immune system and the various kinds of white cells have specialized functions.
– Synonyms: WBC