When you see this movie – not if, but when…you will really understand the tag from the Hungry for Change website when it says…”You’ll never look at dinner the same way again.” Because you will NEVER, and I mean never. look at food the same way again. Not fruit, not vegetables and especially not meat.
I have never been a proponent of pork – please watch this movie and you will see why. The way these animals are treated is appaling and unacceptable. The only way to make a difference in either the food industry or medical industry is for the public to stand up and SCREAM for change. I do, of course, mean to scream in a peaceful way.
You need to clearly understand why it is important to consume meat that is from a cow that has been fed a NON-CORN diet. Yes…a non-corn diet. This is totally opposite to what 99% of the coventional cows consume. Cows by nature should be fed grass. The difference in the quality of the meat from a health perspective is paramount.
Cows and chickens (conventional ones) are kept from sunlight, are cramped and overcrowed, and unfortunately end up wallowing in their own feces. Often, several inches of it. One of the statistics from the movie – noted that a diet of grass feed to corn feed cows for a period of 5 (five) days reduced the harmful e-coli bacteria by 80%. This is substantial – especially due to the fact that the cows (as well as the chickens) are given a pleothera of antibiotics.
These antibititcs are passed into the finish product that we eat. It is no wonder why antibiotic resistance is becoming a real problem. We are consuming many antibiotics as many of us consume beef and poultry from these sources. While there are what appears to be a large variety and selection in the grocery store – it is noteworthy that there is actually a handful of companies that actually own all the different brands – basically the same thing in a different package with a different name.
Another important factor to consider is th fact that 70% of the food in your local grocery store contains food that is genetically engineered (GMO). While the basic tenets behind why food is modified genetically, the health implications from these changes that man has made are truly unnatural to what mother nature intended. I am a pretty smart guy, but I would not pretend to think that I could conceivably do something better than what nature has been doing for millions of years just fine on its own. It is important to note here as well that we should be eating fruits and vegetables that are “in-season”. This has become very difficult as we can find pretty much all fruits and all vegetables any time of year. Again – mother nature intended us to eat seasonally – which is why under normal circumstance food is grown seasonally.
The main ingredient in these GMO foods is corn. I am constantly teaching people to remove corn from their diets. Corn is one of the most highly sensitive foods to many if not most people. causing implications to their health on some level. It is very hard to remove corn from the diet as it is in just about everything that is packaged and processed – even if it doesn’t actually state “corn” on the label.
Other things to minimize, if not remove completely from the diet are dairy and milk products, wheat, gluten and soybeans, just to name a couple of the biggies. If you are not going to remove them entirely please at the very least rotate them in and out of the diet and do not consume any more than every third to fourth day. Everyday that we continue to consume foods that we are sensitive to – it is very much like we a putting a low dose poison in our system…over a short term our delicate system can handle it. After many years of it wearing us down chronic degenerative diseases begin to show up.
Please eat a diet higher in protein. Minimize, if not eliminate, refined (complex) carbs from the diet. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables along with servings of clean, organic, free range, growth hormone-free, antibiotic-free meat, poultry and eggs.
Directly from the Hungry for Change website, the get involved section…these are some simple things that you can do to “get involved” and help to make some simple changes in the food system…
Learn more about these issues and how you can take action on Takepart.com
- Stop drinking sodas and other sweetened beverages.
- You can lose 25 lbs in a year by replacing one 20 oz soda a day with a no calorie beverage (preferably water). Eat at home instead of eating out.
- Children consume almost twice (1.8 times) as many calories when eating food prepared outside the home. Support the passage of laws requiring chain restaurants to post calorie information on menus and menu boards.
- Half of the leading chain restaurants provide no nutritional information to their customers. Tell schools to stop selling sodas, junk food, and sports drinks.
- Over the last two decades, rates of obesity have tripled in children and adolescents aged 6 to 19 years. Meatless Mondays—Go without meat one day a week.
- An estimated 70% of all antibiotics used in the United States are given to farm animals. Buy organic or sustainable food with little or no pesticides.
- According to the EPA, over 1 billion pounds of pesticides are used each year in the U.S.Protect family farms; visit your local farmer’s market.
- Farmer’s markets allow farmers to keep 80 to 90 cents of each dollar spent by the consumer. Make a point to know where your food comes from—READ LABELS.
- The average meal travels 1500 miles from the farm to your dinner plate. Tell Congress that food safety is important to you.
- Each year, contaminated food causes millions of illnesses and thousands of deaths in the U.S. Demand job protections for farm workers and food processors, ensuring fair wages and other protections.
- Poverty among farm workers is more than twice that of all wage and salary employees.
Remember the old adage from our Grandparents and Great Grandparents…You are what you eat. That was so true then and probably more so now. If you eat unhealthy, you are going to be unhealthy. The idea that food is medicine is actually a power notion. When you consume healthy foods…you will be healthly. Please see this movie and make changes in the world, the country, your state and town both for your health and for the environment.